If you're having trouble with the Assignments tool, please update Java on your computer following the instructions below. ACE requires users to be using Java version 7 or newer. If you use ACE with an older version of Java, you will likely experience issues with Assignments and other tools.
Download and Install the most Updated Version of Java
Before you begin:
- We recommend using Firefox when following these instructions. Chrome may not work as expected for the Java update, though you can continue to use Chrome with ACE after you update the Java plug-in.
- Please consider disabling your Internet firewall before downloading and installing the Java update. In some cases the default firewall settings are set to reject all automatic or online installations or it may stall the download/install operation of Java under certain conditions. Refer to your specific Internet firewall manual for instructions on how to disable your Internet Firewall.
- Depending on your security settings, you may be presented with dialogs asking for permission to continue at certain points during the download and install process. Confirm you want to proceed with the installation by pressing the appropriate button.
- Visit Java.com and click on the Free Java Download button.
- Click on the Agree and Start Free Download button.
- When the File Download dialog box appears, click on the Save File button.
- Double-click on the downloaded file in the Download Manager window or where you normally save download files.
- Click the Install button to accept the license terms and to continue with the installation.
- A few brief dialogs confirm the last steps of the installation process; click Close on the last dialog. This will complete Java installation process.
Notifications about disabled Java and restoring prompts
The installer notifies you if Java content is disabled in web browsers, and provides instructions for enabling it. If you previously chose to hide some of the security prompts for applets and Java Web Start applications, the installer provides an option for restoring the prompts. The installer may ask you to reboot your computer if you chose not to restart an internet browser when it prompted you to do so.